SDI By Byrna 40MM
BIP 40mm less lethal Round
The BIP 40mm round is a safer and more effective alternative to existing less lethal technology
Advanced collapsible head engineering provides maximum safety and superior pain compliance
- Designed to be fired from 40mm launchers
- Collapsible gel head mushrooms upon impact to absorb kinetic energy
- Impact is spread over a larger surface area for maximum pain compliance, while causing less injury
- Operational short-range distance of 2 meters, to an effective long range of 80 meters
- Optimum long / short ranges allow for one SDI round to be used vs. two rounds from competitors
BIP tr Single-use training round
Simulates the ballistics of the BIP, allowing for cost-effective training and certifcation
- Allows for training and certification of users with a lower cost per round fired
- A training mechanism to help enforce compliance and order
- Training is an important part of the effective use of the BIP
- Any individual with the authority to use less-lethal force should receive proper training in the use of SDI products
BIP tr reloadable training round
Pre-loaded casings with an aluminium fixture provides for effective re-use
- Simulates the ballistics of the original BIP with an even lower cost per round than our Single-Use Training Round
- Available in 50-Shot and 250-Shot Kits
The 40mm BIP is a blunt impact kinetic energy round. The patented technology involves an internal energy absorption system, as well as a collapsible nose.
This nose “mushrooms” upon impact while absorbing a portion of the kinetic energy and dispersing the inertia (causing less injury).
Additionally, by spreading the impact of the nose over a larger surface area, greater pain compliance is achieved as more sensory nerves on the target will be stimulated, thus increasing the pain reception.
The BIP has been designed utilizing ballistic technologies, which allow for consistent in-flight stability throughout an almost flat trajectory.
These rounds have repeatedly shown effectiveness and reliability at ranges up to 262 feet (80 m) on human targets and up to 394 feet (120 m) for large vehicles (for payload marking purposes).
They are also the preeminent ammunition in vehicle window breaching and area denial.
Both the standard and payload delivery system BIPs have an effective minimal optimal range of 6.5 feet (2 m), though are operational at point blank.
Over a longer range, unlike SDI’s BIP, current marketplace ammunition’s accuracy consistently degrades over distance.
Many of SDI’s competitors’ projectiles commonly tumble, risking injury to bystanders, unintentional injury to the upper body and risk of injury if an un-cushioned portion of the projectile strikes the target.